Collectors can be deployed directly on GCP using a template. Here are the details and security requirements for that installation.
- Login to the BindPlane account to be used
- Navigate to the Collectors page
- Click the Add Collector button located at the top right of the page
- For the platform, choose Google Cloud Platform
- Copy the install command that is provided
- Click the Open Cloud Shell button located directly beneath the install command.
- Check to make sure that project that has been set for the shell session is the correct project where the collector is supposed to be deployed.
- Paste and execute the install command, then follow the instructions as they appear.
Once the collector is installed it only needs the following network access:
The ability to make outbound connections to all systems being monitored. This includes APIs for various cloud providers, if needed.
The ability to make outbound connections to
https://production.api.bindplane.bluemedora.com:443to send collection data back to BindPlane, as well as to retrieve configuration information.
IP Address Fluctuation
The IP address of
https://production.api.bindplane.bluemedora.com:443can change. The endpoint can exist anywhere within the
us-east-1region on AWS.
To retrieve a list of subnets that are covered, run the following commands:
wget https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json cat ip-ranges.json | jq '[.prefixes|select(.region=="us-east-1")]' | jq -r '..ip_prefix'> aws-useast1-ranges.txt
These are the minimum permissions needed to run the script to deploy the collector using the Google Cloud Deployment manager.
Collector Deployment LPU Permissions
compute.machineTypes.get compute.machineTypes.list compute.networks.list compute.projects.get compute.regions.list compute.subnetworks.get compute.subnetworks.list compute.zones.list container.deployments.get deploymentmanager.deployments.create deploymentmanager.deployments.get deploymentmanager.deployments.list deploymentmanager.manifests.get deploymentmanager.manifests.list deploymentmanager.operations.get deploymentmanager.operations.list deploymentmanager.resources.get deploymentmanager.resources.list resourcemanager.projects.get resourcemanager.projects.list
No attribute verification
This set of permissions will NOT allow the script to verify the attributes being passed into the script. Any misconfiguration will result in a failure of the deployment.
If all checks are removed from within the
gcp_install.sh script, only the following permissions are required for the script to operate.
Collector Deployment Limited LPU Permissions
compute.subnetworks.get compute.subnetworks.list deploymentmanager.deployments.create deploymentmanager.deployments.get deploymentmanager.deployments.list deploymentmanager.manifests.get deploymentmanager.manifests.list deploymentmanager.operations.get deploymentmanager.operations.list deploymentmanager.resources.get deploymentmanager.resources.list
To create the Least Privileged User, or Limited LPU, a role needs to be created, using the permissions listed above.
- From the main menu within GCP, select the IAM & admin tab
- Click on the Roles option
- Towards the top of the page, click on the + Create Role button
- Fill out the basic information for the form
- Click the + Add Permissions button
- Select the permissions that are required for the role.
- Click the Create button
Updated 8 months ago